WINS resolution with Samba 2.2.2

Dragos dragos.delcea at farmexim.ro
Thu Dec 6 03:40:03 GMT 2001

On Thursday 06 December 2001 02:23 am, Joel Hammer wrote:
> Hmmm....
> So is seems that /etc/host.conf has no effect.
> What do you need to put into nsswitch.conf to make it use wins?
> I tried hosts:     wins on my wins server but it didn't work when I tried
> to ping a known netbios name.
> Joel

hello Joel,
/etc/host.conf is for old (libc5) applications; the new config file is
/etc/nsswitch.conf
now, put in it
hosts	files wins

Go to samba source directory
/quote
This extension provides a "wins" module for NSS on glibc2/Linux.  This
allows you to use a WINS entry in /etc/nsswitch.conf for hostname
resolution, allowing you to resolve netbios names via start unix
gethostbyname() calls. The end result is that you can use netbios
names as host names in unix apps.

1) run configure
2) run "make nsswitch"
3) cp nsswitch/libnss_wins.so /lib/libnss_wins.so.2
4) add a wins entry to the hosts line in /etc/nsswitch.conf
5) use it
quote/
I did it (there's a catch to it, it's something like 'make
nsswitch/libnss_wins.so', or about here)
It's working here, with the mention that (I think) you must have a valid
smb.conf with the wins = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx entry ;

cheers, dragos