Samba 2.2.2 having problems joining a Windows 2000 Domain

Lee Sanders samba-337 at ccp.com.au
Wed Dec 5 18:38:02 GMT 2001

Hello World,

I am having a problem getting a machine running Samba 2.2.2debian-2 to join
a Windows 2000 Active Directory domain in native mode. Every time I try to
add the server (IRIS) to the domain (SCDOM) using the command "smbpasswd -j
SCDOM -r DC4" it fails with the below output.

 > smbpasswd -j SCDOM -r DC4
cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT
cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine DC4.
Error was : NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT.
2001/12/05 19:00:59 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain SCDOM.
Unable to join domain SCDOM.

I have added the computer account IRIS to the domain controller DC4 using
Active Directory Users and Computers and allowed time for this to propagate
out to the other servers. I have tried deleting and re-creating this
account multiple times (usually after each attempt to join) to clear any
possibly cached information. Each time I create the account I specify that
the user/group "Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access" has permission to add
the computer to the domain and I tick the checkbox "Allow pre-windows 2000
computers to use this account". I also remove the secrets.tdb and
MACHINE.SID files before attempting to join the domain each time.

I know samba 2.2 does not have the ability to participate in Active
Directory but it should be able to participate in the domain as a member
server, please correct me if I am wrong. If anyone can help me with this
error I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in Advance.

Lee Sanders
Network Engineer