share modes

Eric Sisler esisler at westminster.lib.co.us
Wed Dec 5 14:34:06 GMT 2001

Been unavailable for reply lately, so I'm replying to a couple of messages
in this thread:

At 10:38 AM 11/30/2001 +0000, Martin Sapsed wrote:

> > Try the current CVS code. If you set "share modes = no" then
> > it will allow you to destroy your files using the windows
> > applications of your choice :-) :-).

>I've compiled and installed the CVS code on a linux 2.2.19 box and a
>slowaris 8 box and it doesn't complain about my share modes options.
>Hopefully it will get rid of the login script locks.
>
>Does nobody else have problems with win 9x boxes taking exclusive locks on
>bits of the login script (using kixtart) and preventing others from logging
>in?

Yes!  Or more accurately, similar problem(s) but different.  ;-)

I've had problems with Win9x boxes locking files they shouldn't since
moving to the 2.0.x series from good 'ol 1.9.18.  Two examples would be:

1) I have a "netlogon-adm" share for modifying client login scripts,
available to the admins only.  Sometimes when accessing this share it will
hang for 20-30 seconds and I can see "oplock release" error messages in the
samba logfiles.  I know that no one else is using the share and since the
regular "netlogon" share is set "share modes = no", clients using it
*shouldn't* be locking files.

2) CD-ROM databases copied to hard disk and set "read only = yes" and
"share modes = no".  I get similar results as in example #1, especially on
.exe files.

Jeremy wrote:
>I've re-added share modes for 2.2.3. It's in the CVS now if
>you'd like to test it for your particular app. It's effect
>is to allow any DENY mode on an open, ignoring the usual
>effect. This should have the desired effect.

This sounds like just what the Doctor ordered to fix a nagging problem!

Perhaps code could be added to testparm that would issue a warning when
"share modes = no" and "read only = no"?  Granted not all applications will
want "read only = yes" which is why I suggested a warning only.  To quote
Jeremy, I certainly wouldn't want to deprive people of the opportunity to
"destroy your files using the windows applications of your choice..."  ;-)

When will 2.2.3 be available for consumption in RPM format for RedHat 6.x
and 7.x?  I have resisted the temptation to install software via non-RPM
methods on my production servers and would like to continue to do so.

Thanks Jeremy!

-Eric

Eric Sisler
Library Computer Technician