Office2000/Win2000 access to samba share problem

Rudolph Pienaar pienaar at bme.ri.ccf.org
Wed Dec 5 14:19:05 GMT 2001

Hello all -

I've worked through several google (as well as a searchable samba mailing
list) searches, but haven't found a direct answer to my problem. Some things
seem similar, but not enough for me to quickly resolve my problem.

Overview:

Accessing any Office2000 file from a samba-directory results in explorer (and
whatever Office program was active) to hang. This only seems to be a problem
with Office2000 files.

Detail:

The Linux box mounts an nfs directory off another machine (some IRIX box).
This directory is shared within our group, and for the Windows users, I setup
a samba server to allow access to this space.

Everything works fine, or seems to. Files off this samba share are completely
accessibly from Windows - image, text, source code, etc.

However, any Office2000 file (word, excel, powerpoint), hangs whatever was
trying to access it. From IE, clicking on the file (right or left) hangs IE.
If Word is active, File->Open on the samba directory hangs word.

Any and all advice will be much appreciated!

- R

PS: If possible, please cc a response to my email address. I'm not a member
of the mailing list.

Background Detail:
Client software:	Office2000
Client OS:		Windows 2000 SP2
Host OS:		Linux 2.4.9 - Debian Woody
Samba version:
(smbd -v)		Version 2.2.2debian-2

smb.conf (relevant sections):
[global]
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
        syslog = 0
        max log size = 1000
        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096
SO_RCVBUF=4096
        dns proxy = No
        invalid users = root
        directory mask = 0777
        force directory mode = 0777

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        create mask = 0660
        directory mask = 0770
        browseable = No

| Rudolph Pienaar, M.Eng			-w- (216) 445-3790      |
| Gait Lab, Biomedical Engineering ND20		-f- (216) 444-9198      |
| Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, 44195                     |