WINS resolution with Samba 2.2.2

Allen Crawford AllenC at mailcode.com
Wed Dec 5 14:02:10 GMT 2001

Ok, well then maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.  I assumed that WINS
entries were setup in smb.conf since they have entries for it already in
there.  This is just a resolving issue.  I can ping IPs just fine, just not
hostnames.  I could of course add all the hosts to the hosts file, but I'm
hoping to avoid that.  We do not have DNS on our network, just WINS.  Is it
possible to set it up to handle WINS instead of DNS?  I don't even have an
/etc/resolv.conf file on this system.  I checked another one and we do, but
that one is set up externally as our FTP server.  Can you list WINS servers
in this file?

Finally, I checked out the /etc/host.conf file and it is:

order hosts,bind
multi on

While I'm at it, what does "multi on" do?  Or "bind" for that matter.
Doesn't bind have to do with DNS?

Thanks for the help, sorry if it isn't Samba related.