Samba, W2K, Charset and client code page issue

CRX delSol VTi crxvti at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 13:03:11 GMT 2001

Hi to all,

I run Samba 2.0.10 on i386 FreeBSD and share <DIR> on
my Windows 2000 box.  Sharing is not an issue.  I can
see files on my Windows Explorer.

I set the correct charset on my login script so that I
can name my files under BIG 5 chinese name.  Chinese
named files shown properly in console mode.

However, when I see the files via Windows Explorer,
not 100% of files' name shown correctly.  Some are
shown properly but some aren't.

my smb.conf
[global]
    client code page = 950
    valid chars = 0xb9
    character set = ISO8859-1

I did not install the patch for Chinese BIG 5 file
name because I wasn't sure if I needed to since I am
running Samba ver. 2.0.10

Thanks in advance.