Case preservation

Rashkae rashkae at wealthmap.ca
Wed Dec 5 06:15:04 GMT 2001

Hi Jean...

This is not a bug, but a feature, of MS Explorer (network neighborhood).
Since MS Windows is not case sensitive, Explorer will Mangle the case of
filenames for diplay. For example, when it encounters a filename that is
all Uppercase, the file will be displayed with only the first letter
uppercase. In this case, you will probably find that the file has always
been all uppercase, you just never knew. If you want to test this, create
some files in your home directory via telnet with various odd case
combinations. Ex: Test TEST1 test2 tEst3 . Then mount your home via
Internet explorer and see how they appear. If you like, try moving them to
yoru Windows box then back to Solaris. The original case should be
preserved.