Filesize problem with smbfs

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Dec 5 06:10:46 GMT 2001

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Federico Sevilla III wrote:

> I have a 3.2GB (3340095767 bytes as reported by stat and ls) tar.bz2 file
> in a share. Using smbclient the file is indeed 3340095767 bytes large.
> >From a Windows workstation (Windows 95/98/NT), it is reported to be 3.2GB,
> too.

smbfs doesn't handle files larger than 2GB.

You can try this:
    http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/lfs.html

Note that it is experimental (so I want to know if it works or not)

> However, when I mount the share via smbfs (on a Linux box, of course), the
> same file is 2.0T as reported by du (ie: du -csh), 18446744072754680087

smbfs reverse-compression algorithm at work ...

> I will find time when the system is not too loaded to compare the two
> files (cmp and diff bail out because of the filesizes), probably using
> md5sum. I can't do this right now because it's hogging the system and
> taking forever.

You will find that the files differ. smbfs will wrap at 2G and start
reading the file on the server from block 0 again.

/Urban