"could not connect to host - localhost"

Ron Woodall nor at htmlcompendium.org
Tue Dec 4 21:43:02 GMT 2001

Hi Christian:

At 09:04 AM 12/4/01 +0100, Christian Barth wrote:

>Usually smb.conf is shorter and you should see your enteries in
>smb.conf and the defaults of all other parameters as output of
>testparam. If you have set some thing in your smb.conf and it is not
>shwon by testparam, then you probably have to smb.conf's (and two
>sambas) on your box. Do a locate smb.conf to check (once your box has
>been up long enough to be sure that the database of locate is
>uptodate). Have you done a full install of Mandrake and then
>installed samba form the soures, with the rpm from samba.org?

         Full install of Mandrake 8.1, downloaded from the Mandrake site
and burned my own CDs. I did several installs on two systems to get it
(sort of) right -- I hope.

>For the start I would ignore your "Unknown parameter" message: If you
>have written this parameter in to your smb.conf, delete it because
>your samba version is not new enough for this parameter. If it is a
>default from your install, its a not serious bug in the distribution.
>But the unknown parameter message indicates for me that you have a
>version missmach.

         Both smbd and nmbd show versions 2.2.1a and were included in the
Mandrake distribution.

         I've gone part-way through the DIAGNOSIS.txt and these are the
results:

Test 1: As per my note above, it gives the message you note above: "Unknown
parameter: use client driver"

Test 2: I pinged 192.168.0.2 (Linux box) from 192.168.0.1 (Windoz box) I
get no packets lost. The same is true of the reverse, Windoz to Linux.

Test 3: I ran "smbclient -L Windoz" on the Linux box and got the list of
available shares and the workgroup name. SMBD is definately running and
getting out to the rest of the world.

Test 4: I ran nmblookup -B Windoz_SAMBA_. All I got back was the "Unknown
parameter encountered: use client driver" DIAGNOSIS.txt says that I have
nmbd not installed properly. Ok, I go looking for nmbd and found it. Now
what do I do? I went looking for anything that could tell me how to install
it properly and nada, niet and nutt'n.

Next, I did a modprobe -c and it shows "alias eth0 8139too" as the entry
and driver for my card. This should be correct. Exploration showed that
this is the most recent driver for that card.

         "lsmod" shows the 8139too is there, and in use (by autoclean)

         "lspci" also shows the card.

         FTP doesn't work at any level and I haven't figured out how to
write to a diskette yet. How do I write to a diskette? Don't laugh. I'm
Windozed.

> > >Are you using encrypted passwords?
> >
> >          Yes.
> >
> > >If yes: Have you set them up for the user?
> >
> >          How do I do that? I've tried creating users using the GUI but
> that
> > ain't working either :-(
>As root:
>smbpasswd -a user
>probably followed by
>smbpasswd -e user

         OK, done that for two users, one the same as the Windoz machine
name and the other. "Oh happy days are here again!" I went to the Windoz
box, viewed the network neighbourhood and clicked on the Linux box and
voila it was there. Then I looked at the shares and my directory was there
too. I clicked on the directory and it was there too. (that's only two
toos) Then I tried to create a folder from the Windoz box and it told me I
didn't have enough permissions. I went to the Linux box, made sure the
owner had the whole ball of wax. Tried again and still, no change. Bummer!

still suffering the same problem -- "Could not connect to host --
localhost." Time to hang my head, get depressed, feel sorry for myself.
There that's all the selfpity I'm allowed. Now on with the job at hand.
Where do I turn now?

>(some samba versions had a bug were a new user was disabled by
>defautl, just to be sure). Note: The user must exist a unix-user,
>e.g. it must be in /etc/passwd. You may use adduser (or useradd) to
>do this. I don't know if the smbpasswd file must exist before the
>first user is created. If so, may be (I guess!!) a "touch smbpasswd"
>in the right directory may help, probably followed by setting the
>file permissions.

         Hey, I liked smbpasswd. Knock it off with adduser or useradd or
stuff. I feel like a corkscrew now. Do you really want to turn me into a
nut case ;-?

>Hope to get you started

         I was already started, and raring to go. It's this !@#$%^&*()!!!
machine that isn't ;-)

         Thanks for all your help. When I get this part working, I'll go
back and get Komba installed, if I still need it.

         Ron Woodall

Ron Woodall
nor at htmlcompendium.org

The Compendium of HTML Elements