browse lists and "ghost" machines

Keith Warno keith.warno at valaran.com
Tue Dec 4 17:13:19 GMT 2001

Greetings.

I'm running samba 2.2.1a on a network that consists mostly of linux
servers and win2k clients.  There are N subnets here (roughly 18 or 20;
I lost track :)  and cross subnet browsing is no issue.  What is an
issue is that machines which go offline tend to remain in the browse
lists -- forever.  Gack.

There are two main samba servers here: one which is used for file/print
serving as well as a WINS server and is the master browser for the one
subnet it sits on.  The other samba instance resides on a linux box used
as a router (it routes 16 networks) and its sole purpose is to act as
the master browser for each of the networks it sits on.  Granted this
isn't the cleanest or most ideal setup, it works.  More or less.

All the windows clients can see one another, but none of them ever go
away when they're powered down.  :(  Is there a way around this?  I can
send snippits from the samba configuration files if need be.

Thanks,
kw