smbmounts hang around after windows client disconnects

Noel Kelly nkelly at tarsus.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 13:59:06 GMT 2001

Ducking in onto this thread seems like a better idea than starting a new
one:  I also have a continuing problem with SMBMOUNT (at least I think it is
smbmount).  I had thought it was due to my inadvertently using the one
supplied with RH6.2 rather than the compiled 2.2.2 version.  However I still
get hangs whilst copying files.

I guess my problem is different in that the Windows client is NOT
terminating the share (at least I don't think it is - the share I have
mounted is from a Windows 2000 server SP2 running Netware Gateway Services
and it has in turn mounted a Netware share to offer out).  The copying
process seems to hit a particular file (not necessarily big - one it kept
hanging on was a 5K GIF) and then the process freezes.  A "kill -9" is then
required and the share becomes useable again after a load of SMB messages
are spewed onto the console.  Try the copy again and it stops at the same
file again.  Delete/move that file and it will copy quite happily gigabytes
before fouling again.

Note that I don't actually kill the smbmount process but the copying process
- once the copying process is dead then the smbmount share becomes available
again.

Reading that back, the chain of mounts sounds pretty monstrous - but I can
see no reason why it should not work.  If I copy using Windows Explorer from
the NWGS machine to Samba it works fine but is slow (all the graphical
nonsense ?).

I am mounting the share like this:

/samba/bin/smbmount //sancho/hamnw5shared /tmp/sancho -o
username=nkelly,password=xxxxxx,ro

Does anyone have any suggestions here ?  It would be superb for us if we
could use smbmount reliably.  I read that mounting the share using automount
might help ?  I must admit that I have not waited as long as Urban seems to
suggest (1hr+) but have given it a good 15mins today with no result and
ended up killing it.

Thanks,
Noel