Newbie (groan... !) Client Problem

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at mesco.com
Tue Dec 4 11:08:07 GMT 2001

On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 12:54, George at durequip.com wrote:

> [...]

If there is NO wins server, then I'd recommend setting one up and have
all the machines on your network point to it.  You can even use your
samba server as a wins server by including

wins support = yes

in your smb.conf file, then use the IP address of the samba server as
the wins server address on your client machines.  If you decide to use
an NT box as a wins server, then simply replace "wins support = yes"
with "wins server = [ip address of wins server]" in your smb.conf.

> connected to the internet -- DSL at home, ISDN at work.  To clarify, it is
> not that I cannot connect to the share.  I cannot even see the SAMBA server
> in Network Neighborhood or via NET VIEW from my NT box but I can see it just
> fine from the three or four other computers that I checked, including the NT
> PDC.  From the Linux box, SMBCLIENT can see the shares on the NT PDC and the
> Win95/98 boxes too.  i.e., everybody but me is working! :-(

The existing machines on the network are visible because their names
have been propagated via broadcast.  Name resolution via network
broadcast is a bit shaky at times, so I personally recommend using WINS.

Kohei