nobody is perfect!

Kai Fricke kai.fricke at hacon.de
Tue Dec 4 08:07:02 GMT 2001

Hi!

I have a strange problem that some, sometimes and randomly Windows
Clients connect to our Samba 2.0.7 Server (security=user; all users are
Samba and NIS users) as the guest account (user nobody).
This is not that strange, but the logfiles tell me:
[2001/12/04 15:42:43, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection(550)
  some_hostname (195.127.###.###) connect to service public as user
nobody (uid=701, gid=100) (pid 1611)

This is not a problem untill the clients try to connect to access
restricted directories.
If those directories are restricted to some specific users with the
option 'write list = ...' and/or by access right on the filesystem to a
unix group, those connections fail, when they try to access to shares.

I could not see any pattern in the Windows versions on the clients. Most
are WinNT and some are Win2K. On the NT-clients it sometimes helps to
upgrade to SP6a. But some SP6a clients report that problem too.

I could fix this problem partially by adding the line 'write list = ...
nobody' into my smb.conf, but thats just a hack in my oppinion.

This problem does not apply to printing. Everyone can print including
nobody ;) (nobody is perfect!)

--
Kai Fricke

System Administrator