samba 2.2.1a and WAN-Shares

Dirk Westfal dirk.westfal at frankfurter-verein.de
Mon Dec 3 23:13:04 GMT 2001

Hi out there,
I`ve not a real problem (currently), but a few questions on wan-wide (read:
low bandwidth) share distribution with samba 2.2.1a. The setup described
below was developed in a hurry (was needed by tomorrow :-\).
Are there better ways to do this?
What are the pros and cons of using the msdfs - options in this situation?
Has anyone set up a similar share topology? If so, would you tell me about
your experiences?

thanks in advance,
Dirk

the "environment"

We have around 30 remote locations connected to the company hq via isdn with
dial on demand lines (bw ranges from 64 (common) -> 512kb(few special
sites))  to get access to some sap-like services and email/internet.

the "requirements"
Some of our remote locations have the need to exchange data (mostly office
docs with 10 to 1000kb in size) between each other in real time.
Each of these remote locations has it`s own local samba pdc.

the "workaround" i came up with:
Because we already had an samba running in the dmz to ease maintanace of the
companys intranet from the headquarters network, i decided to create a share
on the dmz-samba and to do a remote mount from each of the remote servers.
(mount -t smbfs -o username=xxx,password=xxx,dmask=0777  - yeah thats a bit
risky but security is not an issue at this level yet - and there will be soon
a central ldapserver to authenticate against;  in the meantime we do access
control at ip-addr/network level)
I then redistributed the mounted remoteshare on the remote servers as a share
which is then mounted as networked drive (r:) from the clients at the remote
locations.

The simplified topology is currently:

	[ HQ - dmz  ]
		|----- SAMBA (visible to all remote locations)
		|	|------ REMOTESHARE
		|	|------

	[ HQ - dmz ]
	   |	|
	   |	remoteserver2
	   |	//samba/remoteshare - > [ SMBREMOTE]

	remoteserver1
	//samba/remoteshare -> [ SMBREMOTE ]

So far this  setup seems to work, though the logs get sometimes filled with
messages like "broken oplock":
When accessing the r: drive form a Win95/98 Client at a remote site, theres
only a short interruption until the line to the samba in the hq-dmz comes up.
If the line is already up, theres no difference at all (last week we had one
service-tech who backuped a users data to the r: drive - regardless of the
users existing home dir - well it was a little slow for some 100 Megs... over
a 128kb line.)

--
Dirk Westfal (EDV/NETADMIN) <dirk.westfal at frankfurter-verein.de>
Key fingerprint = 8D7F 71D3 239A FA48 5E73  F1DE D460 E97F 83B0 1F89