2.2.2, XFS, ACL, PAM, user/group listing problems

Robert Cope robert at gonkgonk.com
Mon Dec 3 19:24:02 GMT 2001

Hello,

I am trying to setup Samba as a fileserver in a Win2k PDC environment.  I
am using Samba-2.2.2 under linux kernel 2.4.14 patched for XFS.  I am doing
this so that I can make use of ACLs.

winbind is setup and everything works as expected, ie  `getent passwd` and
`getend group`  return all the domain users and groups.  Domain users can
create files and store their profiles and such.

Here is where it gets strange.  If I make a public share and put a file in
it, that works okay.  If I then try and set the permissions for that file
from the win2k PDC it works just fine -- I get a list of all the domain uses to
choose from just like you would expect and the permissions are set
correctly.

However, it I try and set the permission from another win2k machine that is
on the domain, I get a list of the local users on the linux box!  Obviously
this is not good.  I have been over and over the manuals, google and the
mailing lists and have not seen anyone with a similar problem, but surely
someone has tried to do this before.

I have tried the latest CVS version of 2.2 and that does not fix anything.

Thanks,

robert

--
robert cope         \ Don't play dumb with me!  You're not as good at it as
robert at gonkgonk.com / I am.