Locking problems in 2.2.2

Jurjen Oskam jurjen at quadpro.stupendous.org
Mon Dec 3 13:37:02 GMT 2001

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 12:23:01PM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:

(Please don't Cc: me, I'm on the list, thanks. :-) )

> > [2001/12/03 11:37:48, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(786)
> >   oplock_break: receive_smb timed out after 30 seconds.
> >   oplock_break failed for file
> Looks like your clients are failing to respond to oplock
> breaks. New Samba code won't fix that, I'd check the NIC
> cards/hubs/network between the server and clients. This
> is commonly the problem if this kind of thing happens
> often.

It's unlikely that there are physical networking problems (cables,
hubs or NICs). ifconfig show zero errors, and all other applications
work perfectly. The exact same machine worked perfectly in its
previous life as an NT4 server.

That of course doesn't necessarily mean that the problem is with Samba. It
could be the Linux kernel (2.2.19) or the driver for the NIC
(3c905c).

Is it possible with e.g. tcpdump to diagnose this problem? I can
provide detailed info, I just need to know where to look. :-)

> It would still help Samba if you could try the 2.2 CVS
> tree though, to see if everything else works ok, although

Since this is a production machine, I'm not able to toy with it too much.
I'll see what I can do, of course.

--
      Jurjen Oskam * http://www.stupendous.org/ for PGP key * Q265230
   10:07pm  up 51 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00