"could not connect to host - localhost"

Ron Woodall nor at htmlcompendium.org
Mon Dec 3 12:13:03 GMT 2001

Hi All and Christian and Christopher:

         Thank you. There is hope on the horizon.

At 08:48 PM 12/3/01 +0100, Christian Barth wrote:
>I would forget about the nice graphic user interfaces to start with.
>In the samba distribtion there is a file called DIAGNOSIS.txt. Go
>through it step by step and tell us were it fails.

         The first problem I've encountered is running testparm as
instructed in DIAGNOSIS.txt.

         testparm smb.conf returns an error cannot find smb.conf

         testparm without smb.conf returns a different error
         Unknown parameter encountered: "use client driver"
         Processing Section "[homes]"
         Processing Section "[printers]"
         Processing Section "[public]"
         Loaded services file OK.

I also hit enter and it gave me a dump of the service definitions. However,
it lists all of the defaults but is not what I see in my smb.conf file. It
is much shorter.

>Probably a lot helpfull guys out here don't know the specific GUI's
>but what happens behind them.
>
>What security have you choosen during the Mandrake install? May be
>there is a firewall blocking the prots. (RedHat likes to do so).

         Probably none. It's been a while since this was installed.

>What does your smb.conf look like?

         Can't copy it from the Linux box. Any suggestions how I might do
this? I'm using Windoz for the internet and have only the network to move
things from and to the Linux box. (Mandrake Linux 8.1 downloaded and
created the CDs. Installed from that several times, the last of which is a
full install.)

>Are you using encrypted passwords?

         Yes.

>If yes: Have you set them up for the user?

         How do I do that? I've tried creating users using the GUI but that
ain't working either :-(

>To get started with samba
>I would run plaintext passwords and patch the windows clients.

         I had run these systems with an older version of Mandrake (7.2)
and the patch applied to those systems. But when I installed 8.1 I tried
access from the Windows boxes with _and_ without encrypted passwords and
neither work. I have a more fundamental problem that needs resolving first.

>Once
>you are familiar with it you can switch to the more secure encrypted
>password needed for the domain stuff.

         That would be great, except I'm so confused, they all sound the
same right now. I'll be damned if I give up on this so I do thank you all
for your patience and assistance.

         Ron Woodall

Ron Woodall
nor at htmlcompendium.org