Re-joining the Domain

Orenstein, Dave Dave.Orenstein at abc.com
Mon Dec 3 07:08:06 GMT 2001

I was wondering if there is an answer to this
challenge or if I just have to live with it?  I'm a bit
of a Newbie here.  I'm in the process of setting up
Samba -2.2.2 on a Redhat v7.1 (Seawolf) server.
I've discovered that joining the NT Domain is a simple
matter of

smbpasswd -j DOMAIN_NAME

smbpasswd picks up the PDC name from smb.conf
and moves right along.  There is no need to send a
PDC admin password out in clear text to make things
happen as I have seen suggested elsewhere.  The
challenge that I have run into is that as the instructions
in the excellent Samba docs state, you have to create
the machine entry at the PDC and then issue the join
command on the Samba server.
What I found is that every time I make a change to
smb.conf or stop and start the smbd and/or nmbd
daemons, the PDC entry has to be recreated before
the join command can be successfully issued.  Is there
some way around having to repeat the work done at the
PDC?  I'm presently not a Domain Admin.

Dave Orenstein, CNE
Project Engineer/Maintenance Engineer
ABC Radio Network