Was: Win98SE and Samba 2.0.10 Problems

Foss.KS at forces.ca Foss.KS at forces.ca
Mon Dec 3 05:25:02 GMT 2001

Well the weekend didn't bring any solutions to this unhappy camper.  I spent
most of my time trying to narrow down the problem again.  I started out by
installing a quick copy of ZipSlack on the Win98SE machine to determine once
and for all if the problem was a Windows problem or not.  Well, I tried a
simple FTP from the ZipSlack to my Mandrake 8.0 server and it hung up like
in Windows.  So I can pretty much say that the problem would reside in the
hardware.

So to recap:
1.	I can use Samba, http, ftp, telnet, etc. and transfer data properly
between my Mandrake 8.0 server to all machines except the Win98SE PC.
2.	The Win98SE PC can transfer files everywhere except to the Mandrake
8.0 server.  The Win98SE PC can retrieve files from the server.  The Win98SE
PC cannot put files on the server.
3.	The Samba log file shows that the connection was reset by peer.
4.	I have changed distributions to Redhat 7.1 on the server to see if
there was an issue with the distro.  No issue.
5.	I have upgraded from Samba 2.0.7 to 2.0.10 with no solution to the
problem.
6.	I have changed the ethernet cards in the server and the Win98SE PC,
no solutions.
6.	I have changed OS on the Win98SE PC to ZipSlack and the same problem
occurs.
7.	I can transfer files that are less than 16K from the Win98SE
machines to the server, but when transferring larger files Windows complains
about losing the network resource or device.
8.	The transfer problems occur on both Samba and FTP transfers.
9.	I have hooked a laptop up to the same cable and wall jack as the
Win98SE PC and file transfers aren't a problem.
10.	I have moved just about every cable on the hub and it makes no
different at all to any machine.
11.	Lastly, if I hook up my little USB Ethernet device to the Win98SE,
there are no problems, I can transfer anything I want.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing the problems?  Seems
to me to be a buffering problem in that anything over 15K gets lost.
However, as I have changed the NICs to one from other manufacturers without
any resolution.

Could this be a PCI bus problem?  If so, how do I check it?

PC Overview:

Win98SE			Mandrake 8.0 Server
P3/866				P2/233
256MB				228MB
15GB + 30GB HDD		2GB + 30GB HDD
ATI All-in-Wonder 128/32MB	Matrox Mystique 220
Netgear FA311 NIC		Realtek RTL8029 NIC
SB128 Ensoniq			SB Vibra 16
IBM Travan 20GB		Zip 100MB
USR V90 V/F/D Modem		USR V90 F/D Modem

This is getting to be a real pain in the ...

Can anybody help out?

Kevin Foss
Ottawa, Canada