Help me Please

Ahmad Yahya getlucky at telkom.net
Sun Dec 2 23:35:02 GMT 2001

Before, maybe you need to upgrade your Samba to 2.0.10 or 2.2.2

From: "Abhaya Kumar Samal" <kabhaya at yahoo.com>

> Kind Attention: Andrew Tridgell
>                 Jeremy Allison
>                 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
>                 John H Terpstra
>
> Dear Sir,
>
> Good wishes. I am in big trouble. Please, help me. I
> am trying to setup and configure our college network.
> It comprises of the following:
>
> 1. RedHat Linux Server, Assembled PC, 20GB IDE, P-III,
> 400 MHz, 256 MB MM
>    eth0: IP Address: 192.168.0.1, Net Mask:
> 255.255.255.0, Network: 192.168.0.0
>    eth1: IP Address: 192.168.11.1, Net Mask:
> 255.255.255.0, Network: 192.168.11.0
>    Host Name: gateway.ncit.edu.np
>    Pri.DNS: 127.0.0.1
>    Connected directly (Crossover UTP) to the intranet
> Server over 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.2
> 2. RedHat Linux Server, Compaq ProLiant ML-350,
> 18.2GBx2 SCSI, 256 MB MM, 866 MHz
>    eth0: IP Address: 192.168.0.2, Net Mask:
> 255.255.255.0, Network: 192.168.0.0
>    eth1: IP Address: 192.168.1.1, Net Mask:
> 255.255.255.0, Network: 192.168.1.0
>    Host Name: intranet.ncit.edu.np
>    Pri.DNS: 127.0.0.1
>    This is the Samba Server, with:
>    workgroup = NTDOM
>    netbios name = NTSERV
>    Connected to the Network HUB over 192.168.1.1. This
> is the internal network.
> 3. NT Server (PDC), Assembled PC, 20GB IDE, P-III, 800
> MHz, 256 MB MM
>    IP Address: 192.168.1.2
>    Domain Name = NTDOM
>    NetBIOS name = NTPDC
> 4. NT Workstations, Assembled PC, 20GB IDE, P-III, 800
> MHz, 256 MB MM
>    NetBIOS Names: <Lab.Code>WS<Machine Sl.No.>, e.g.,
> LB1WS01, LB1WS02, etc.
>   IP Addresses: 192.168.1.21(LB1WS01) to 192.168.1.180
> (LB8WS20)
>
> All installations were successful. Samba 2.0.7 was
> installed and configured. Logon from Windows98
> Workstations were successful. But, I failed to put the
> NT Workstations onto the domain. NT Version was 4.0
> with NT Service Pack 6a installed both at the Server
> (NTPDC) and Workstation (LB1WS01). Error message
> displayed was:
> "Unable to connect to the domain controller for this
> domain. Have your administrator check your computer
> account on the domain.". Linux Version is RedHat 7.1.

Did you add LB1WS01 to NTPDC?

> Following tasks were performed after successful
> installation of Samba Server and establishing
> connectivity with Windows98 Machines.
>
> On the NT Server (NTDOM/NTPDC):
> ------------------------------
> Through Server Manager for Domains, added the Samba
> Server as Windows NT Workstation Machine by the
> NetBIOS Name: NTSERV to the Domain.
>
> On the Samba Server (NTDOM/NTSERV):
> ----------------------------------
> Stopped the Samba daemon: root#service smb stop
> Made the Samba Server to join the Domain: root#
> smbpasswd -j NTDOM -r NTPDC
> Response: Joined domain NTDOM
> Confirmed the creation of file
> /etc/samba/NTDOM.NTSERV.mac
> Made necessary changes to the /etc/samba/smb.conf. The
> listing of smb.conf is appended herewith at the end
> for your kind reference.
> Then, created a group for the NT Workstation's machine
> account on the Samba Server (NTSERV):
>   root# groupadd ntmachines
> Created Machine account as: root# adduser -d /dev/null
> -c "NT Machines" -s /bin/false -g ntmachines -n
> LB1WS01$
> Updated the Samba Password file by: root# smbpasswd -a
> -m LB1WS01$
If you did samba and winnt ws to join NTPDC/dom [using security = domain] as
you did above, then you don't need to add winnt ws to samba server. It will
authenticate againt the password in NTPDC.

> Started the Samba daemon: root# service smb start
>
> On the NT Workstation (LB1WS01):
> -------------------------------
> Tried to login through Workgroup setting = NTDOM in
> Network -> Properties -> Identification Tab. Failed.
> But found at the NTPDC through the Network Browser
> that all are displayed (NTPDC, NTSERV and LB1WS01). At
> Samba Server, the command: root# smbclient -L NTSERV
> also displayed all these NetBIOS names under the
> Server Column.
> Tried to put the NT Workstation (LB1WS01) onto the
> Domain by changing the Workgroup to Domain setting in
> Network -> Properties -> Identification Tab. But on
> clicking Ok, instead of getting "Welcome to domain
> NTDOM" message, I got the message "Unable to connect
> to the domain controller for this domain. Have your
> administrator check your computer account on the
> domain.".
>
> Clarifications Requested (Beyond the Current Problem
> Area):
> 1. Is it necessary to have both NT Server PDC (NTPDC)
> and Samba Server (NTSERV) to coexist concurrently in
> the Samba NT Domain (NTDOM)?
It should be.
Note: Samba (NTSERV) is not the PDC of NTDOM, it could be BDC or just
file/print server.
NTDOM PDC is handled by NTPDC/NTServer.

> 2. Is it required to reinstall the NT Workstation OS
> S/w every time it fails to establish the connectivity?
I don't think so.

> 3. I want to add one printer (Laser Printer) to the NT
> Server (NTPDC) and another printer (High Speed Dot
> Matrix Printer) to the Samba Server. I want both the
> printer to be sharable and accessible at the
> workstation. Does it require any special attention at
> the time of configuring it?
???...???
> 4. I want to add two more server to the network (one
> SUN Solaris for Intel i386 Server and another FreeBSD
> Server). They will be accessible only through Telnet
> and FTP Service. Will there be any problem in
> incorporating them on the network?

No

> Kindly help me to establish the connectivity and
> suggest me what to do.
>
> Waiting eagerly for your valued response at the
> earliest.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Abhaya Kumar Samal,
> Professor and Head,
> Dept. of Comp. Sc. & Engg.,
> Nepal College of Information Technology,
> Imadol VDC, EPC 1525, GPO Box: 8975,
> Kathmandu, Nepal.
> Phone: +977-1-543084
> E-mail: kabhaya at yahoo.com
>

> #======================================================================
> # This is the main Samba configuration file for NCIT
> Samba Domain NTDOM
> #========================= Global Settings
> ============================
> [global]
>    workgroup = NTDOM
>    netbios name = NTSERV
>    server string = %h - NCIT Samba Server
>    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
add too the '192.168.11.' and '192.168.0.' ips

>    printcap name = /etc/printcap
>    load printers = yes
>    printing = bsd
>    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log