features in samba 3.alpha

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sat Dec 1 16:49:06 GMT 2001

Ariel Mella wrote:

> now that samba3 compile in my redhat 7.2 i want to test it..
> reading the documentation that described the new features supported in
> samba3alpha i cant find too much explanation.. and here is the quiz:
>
> now from a win9x client when i see the list of users, i can see groups for
> adding to my win9x clients shares??
> what is the state of support of changing password from a terminal like NT
> SERVER "change password in the first logon"??

Samba now supports password expiry, and even 2.2 contains the code to
actually change the password - 3.0 adds support to set the expiry in the
SAM rather than needing to use PAM.  We don't however have the client
tools to set these paramaters, but you might be able to do it with user
manager.

> what is the state and features of VFS in samba?
> now how i add a user and a group?? with the old smbpasswd?? or with the use
> of net command??

Old smbpasswd

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org