Pathname problems?

Douglas Egan doug.egan at windriver.com
Mon Apr 30 20:30:36 GMT 2001

Does anyone know if samba has potential problems with pathnames formed
like:

s:\tornado\target\h\..\..\target\config\m5307c3\config.h

Particularly if there are more than just a couple of ..\..

I have run into this when using gcc 2.96 as well as another product called
SNiFF+.  Both use pathnames formed like above, but sometimes with 5 or 6 levels of backward path traversal.

Both will run under win2k (sp1) when the filesystem is mounted under NFS or TAS,
but both seem to have problems when executing from a win2k machine and the
fs is mounted with samba.  Samba 2.0.7, 2.0.8 and 2.2.0 all seem to have
this problem (haven't tried anything earlier than 2.0.7).  Lot's of unable to find file messages.

samba server is netbsd 1.5

Look forward to hearing comments.

Doug Egan

ps:  sent earlier but I didn't see posted.  Sorry if it's a repost.