VPN?

Trevor Benson Tbenson at associatedbp.com
Mon Apr 30 18:41:54 GMT 2001

I would suggest going with Poptop.  It is relatively strait forward, it uses
microsofts built in VPN clients, mind you if its not Win2k you might have to
install, remove, reinstall to get the VPN adapters to work properly in Win98
(some bug in MS's install of the adapter causes this every so often). And
then the server side is very simple.  Watch your proxyarp would be my main
suggestion, as their explanation of how the system uses it is not very
clear.  I had a VPN up and running with the basic CHAP authentication within
about 2 hours. That includes a basic server install of RedHat 6.1 on a P166,
compiling ssh for replacing telnet, and compiling poptop.  So if you already
have a server and don't intend on ssh I would assume this would be a fairly
quick setup, moving to more secure authentication takes a bit, and possibly
some patching depending on the system.

Thanks,
Trevor