Ok with Nt4.0, not with Win95 or 98

Bill Moran wmoran at iowna.com
Mon Apr 30 13:02:49 GMT 2001

I would suggest that you copy all replies to the samba discussion group.
That way if I don't know the answer, possibly someone else will.

Govaere Jan wrote:

> >What errors do you get on the 95/98 boxes? What do you see in various
> >Samba log files?
>
> The 95/98 boxes are : the computer is not accessible.

Can you ping the netbios name from a DOS prompt on either of these
computers? If not, can you ping the IP address?
Did you tell win95/98 to log into the mdp domain, and use share level
access?

> But I retry a : smbpasswd -j mdp -r PDC ans it doesn't work anymore. The
> morning, i delete the netbios name on the PDC ans I put it again, and after,
> it was working.

So you have another computer that's actually running NT on the network,
right? Go to that machine and make sure the Samba box truely is part of
the domain (has a domain account)
Also, are you using WINS? If so, make sure the Samba box is configed to
contact the WINS server. Also, make sure you aren't running more than
one WINS server. Be patient, browsing changes can take 30 minutes to
update when you change something. (That means that if you add a new
server, change a server, etc - it might be 30 minutes before that change
is visible on the network)

> after rebooting my server, have I to do it again ?

No, you shouldn't have to be rebooting and resetting and all this,
something is awry.

And once again - what do you see in the various Samba logs? These are
usually in the /var/log directory and there will be one called log.smb
and then one for each machine that tries to connect, depending on the
setting of "log file" in the smb.conf file. I recommend setting this to
"/var/log/log.%m" which will create a file log.machinename (where
"machinename" is the name of the machine connecting)
These logs are generally very helpful. In the past, I have found that
when I have a Samba problem, usually the answer is in the log files.

-Bill