PAM and LDAP

Jeff Williams jeff at dacc.cc.il.us
Sun Apr 29 12:54:24 GMT 2001

Paul Jakma wrote:

> > The SMB log says "Couldn't find user <username>", as if it isn't
> > checking the LDAP server, only the local user database.
>
> do you have /etc/ldap.conf set up properly?

As far as I can tell, yes...  (See next section.)

> and does:
>
> ldapsearch -ZZ -b "<your LDAP base" "(uid=username)" "uid" -x
>
> return a dn?

Yes.  In any case, the RADIUS daemon on this same computer successfully
authenticates our dialup users against our LDAP server via the same PAM LDAP
module that SAMBA is being told to use.

I viewed the access log on the LDAP server with tail -f, then tried
authenticating using smbclient.  Nothing at all showed up in the LDAP access
log when I entered the password on the smbclient side, so it apparently
isn't even checking with the LDAP server before giving up.

--

Jeff Williams