VPN?

Joachim Feise jfeise at ics.uci.edu
Sun Apr 29 11:20:34 GMT 2001

Oren Levy schrieb:

> Once you have Samba shares up and running on the
> internal network, how do you go about making them
> available (browsable) via the Internet--a VPN?
>
> I hate to say it but in Windows 2k it's just a matter
> of a few clicks on the server and client. I'm hoping
> that it's not much harder with a Linux server/Windows
> client. Anything involving something like SSH will be
> too hard for most users.

It is not quite clear what you want to do, but VPN is
completely independent from Samba.
Here's an example of what we do:
We have Win9x, NT, and W2K clients that connect through
VPN client software (usually called PPTP by MS) to an NT4
Server running VPN server software. Note, again, that a VPN
server has nothing to do with Samba.
Through the VPN connection, we now have the ability to map
shares from the network where the VPN server is located.
Some of these shares are from "real" NT4 machines, some
are from Linux machines running Samba. This is completely
transparent to the user.
If you want to run a VPN server on a Linux box, you would
need the appropriate software to do so. I have no idea if
a VPN server for Linux exists, you may want to search on the
usual Web sites for it. I have experimented with VPN (PPTP)
clients on Linux some time back.

-Joe