smbclient (Samba 2.0.8 SuSE 7.1) read problem from Win2K

Angus Duggan angus at harlequin.com
Sun Apr 29 05:51:36 GMT 2001

I hope this question hasn't been done to death, I've checked the list archive
for the last couple of months but couldn't find an answer (there isn't an
easy search facility available, so I may have missed something):

I am having trouble with my backups since upgrading to Samba 2.0.8, as
configured in the default SuSE 7.1 installation. They worked OK using the
default SuSE 7.0 smbclient, which I believe was 2.0.7.

The symptom is that I can connect to a Win2K share using smbclient, but when
I try to get a file (or use the -Tc option to create a tar archive), I get
errors like this (debug level 2):

  Error reading file \file : ERRSRV - ERRerror (Non-specific error code.)
  Didn't get entire file. size=1841, nread=0
        1841 (  898.9 kb/s) \file

The Win2K Event Log reports a System Log error from Srv, ID 2006:

  The server received an incorrectly formatted request from \\server

Has anyone come across this before? Is there a known solution? FWIW, the SuSE
7.1 box is running kernel 2.4.0.

a.