Quick general question

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Apr 28 21:46:14 GMT 2001

Bill Moran wrote:
> If you insist on using SMB communications, look into setting up a
> secure, encrypted VPN (Virtual Private Network) - it will allow you to
> use Samba through an encrypted connection, thus ensuring security.
> Otherwise, there's really nothing you need to do. The manager of the
> Solaris box needs to set up Samba on his computer and your NT5 box will
> be able to connect.

First off, I don't like VPN's in the first place.  Secondly, SMB
still not only has security issues, it does not tunnel well (unless
you leave your fly open ;-) -- although Samba to Samba client on
UNIX is a different story (I'm looking at the fact you are running
to a Windows client).  I'd look at getting an NFS client for your
Windows system.  NFS tunnels very easily over even SSH.  This this
is just my viewpoint, and have an anti-open VPN bias (don't trust my
home users' security -- and SMB on Windows is a prime avenue).

Just basic SFTP using Cygwin may be all you need (although you won't
get graphics).  There is also Putty which can give you a graphical
interface to SCP on Windows.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith         chat:thebs413 @AOL/MSN/Yahoo