Win2K fails to mount (samba 2.0.8)

Paul Goyette paul at whooppee.com
Sat Apr 28 16:28:59 GMT 2001

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I'm not really an
expert on Microsoft networking...

I've got samba 2.0.8 running, with a very minimal config:

	[global]
	dns proxy = no
	follow symlinks = no
	lm announce = false
	netbios name = offshore-ventures
	debuglevel = 10

	[peter]
	path = /home/peter
	writeable = yes
	browseable = no
	user = peter
	invalid users = root operator backup

I have only smbd running, no nmbd.

Now, I can easily connect to the share from the smbclient program.  But
when attempting to connect using Win2K on my laptop, the laptop shuts
down the tcp session as soon as smbd responds with its reply for
protocol negotiation, and reports that "the account is not authorized to
log in from this station."

As far as I can tell, the laptop is not trying to connect to anything
else (like an NT domain controller) - tcpdump catches no messages
between the laptop and any other host except for the samba server.  And,
at least based on the debug info in samba's log, samba just gets an
unexpected EOF when trying to read the next message from the client
(after having sent its reply to protocol negotiation).

Any idea on how to make this work?

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Network Engineer | BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul at whooppee.com   |
|  & World Cruiser | 91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 | pgoyette at juniper.net |