samba joining an nt 4 sp6 domain ?

Benoît Canet bcanet at itnetwork.fr
Fri Apr 27 17:53:04 GMT 2001

Hi,
I have a samba server running on a debian potato and a NT 4 SP6 PDC,
I'm trying to make the linux join the domain.I've read the domain_member.txt and apply theses instructions but I obtain this message.

server:/etc/samba# smbpasswd -j DOMAINNAME-D 4 -r PDCNAME resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name PDCNAME<0x20>
resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name PDCNAME<0x20>
Connecting to 192.168.1.x at port 139
error connecting to 192.168.1.x:139 (Connection refused)
modify_trust_password: unable to connect to SMB server on machine PDCNAME. Error was : code 0.
2001/04/28 02:05:35 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change password for domain DOMAINNAME.
Unable to join domain DOMAINNAME.

does anyone have a clue ?

                Benoît Canet