protocol throughput

Nathan W. Labadie nate at ucomm.wayne.edu
Fri Apr 27 14:50:20 GMT 2001

Recently we've been conducting throughput tests on various protocols. The
results of the protocols can be viewed at:

http://network.ucomm.wayne.edu/benchmark/

So... I guess the real question is this: is it possible for a single SMB file
transfer to go faster than 20 Mbps? Is 20 Mbps as good as it gets?

We had done tests with 9x/NT4/2K and achieved similar results when TCP/IP is
used as the transport. I've include the relevant [global] of my smb.conf
files for both systems. I've also tried tweaking the SOCKET OPTIONS, but the
largest increase I had seen was ~1.5 Mbps. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks much,
Nate

---Ultra 10---
[global]
        netbios name = FTP
        security = SERVER
        debug level = 0
        preferred master = False
        local master = False
        domain master = False
        hosts allow = 141.217. 146.9.
        null passwords = false
IPTOS_LOWDELAY

---x86---
[global]
        netbios name = BENCH
        security = SERVER
        debug level = 0
        preferred master = False
        local master = False
        domain master = False
        hosts allow = 141.217. 146.9.
        null passwords = false
IPTOS_LOWDELAY

Nathan W. Labadie      | nate at ucomm.wayne.edu
Network Engineer II    | 313/577.1922
Wayne State University | 313/577.5626 fax
GPG Key: http://ucomm.wayne.edu/~nate/gpg_key.asc