Plans for smbmount on Solaris

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Apr 27 07:36:16 GMT 2001

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Tony Doore wrote:

> Can you tell me please are there any plans for smbmount on Solaris 7+

Not that I know of.

smbmount requires smbfs. Linux smbfs is GPL and I am not certain how you
can port that to another OS that is not GPL, without breaking the license.
There is a BSD implementation that people can "rip" if they want to.

Then there is the potentially huge differences in how a filesystem
"driver" looks that makes it look like you would need a new smbfs for
Solaris anyway.

smbmount itself only mounts, and that could be shared between different
smbfs implementations if they are similar enough.

If you are looking for a solution to a problem and not for something to
hack, then Sharity(-light) and/or smbwrapper/smbsh may be what you are
looking for.

/Urban