How to show the Network Neighbourhood in console mode ?

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Apr 27 07:21:16 GMT 2001

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Xavier ROCHE wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I searched in various FAQs and ML the way to list machines in the current
> neihbourhood (that is, listing all machines as you would do with W9/NT
> network window) and I did not find anything.
>
> I have written a script which automatically generates such list in a
> /var/run/smbmch file regularly, but is there any better (and cleaner?)
> solution?

Go search on http://www.freshmeat.net/ for "neighborhood", "smb" and
possibly other keywords for GUI solutions (may be stuff written for linux
but some of it should work on other systems too).

Oh, wait. You asked about console mode.

I want it to be possible to do the same thing with (linux) autofs.
Currently that is difficult since autofs doesn't show you things it hasn't
mounted. If that worked I could autocomplete in tcsh or use whatever tool
I normally use, and still see "all" of the network (all=from a winXX point
of view :)

Perhaps freshmeat will help you find some console tool. I know there is
one that can be run and find all machines and their shares, and then build
autofs maps from that.

jCIFS may be something for you:  http://jcifs.samba.org/

/Urban