A possible virus

William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) wcolburn at nmt.edu
Thu Apr 26 20:38:54 GMT 2001

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 11:09:08AM -0600, Dan Egli wrote:
> Jpegs are different than Source Code. It is possible to include worm/trojan
> info in the image, but it's not possible to include RUNNABLE worm code in
> source code. You'd have to compile the code for the worm code to become
> dangerous.

Again, this is *horribly* off topic, but, I disagree.  Worms work
because software fails to interpret it correctly.  If there is a broken
tar utility out there with a buffer overflow in it, then source code
could be a worm.  Just like a broken image viewer can let an image file
be a worm.  How long ago was it that people would riducle the warnings
not to read your email because it could destroy your hard drive.
Everyone knew that reading email can't destroy your hard drive.

For your amusement, I will attach some source code written in C.  I
mean, a shell script that runs under UNIX.  I mean, some source code
written in FORTRAN.  I mean, a DOS program.  I mean, some source code
written in COBOL.  I mean, a program written in postscript.  Yea, all
those things, I mean them all, and I am attaching only one file.  Oops,
did I forget that it was also writen in Pascal?  Yup, I did.

Complexity is the bane of security.  Trust nothing!

--
William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburn at nmt.edu>
Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology