EXPLINATION: %U and %u functionality change in 2.2??

Samuel Greenfeld gree3776 at rowan.edu
Wed Apr 25 17:09:34 GMT 2001

<minor rant>
All right.  I've seen this.   I mentioned it along with a few other 2.2.0 bugs I've seen on samba-ntdom along with some possible 2.0.7 bugs related to printing, and even a few possible security issues (not repeated here), one I know I sent directly to a samba developer.   I admit that I might be a bit off topic at times, but no one tells me where to go.

I seem to almost always get buried in noise.   Perhaps the samba project should set up a bugzilla-style system so this doesn't happen in the future?
</minor rant>

THE PROBLEM:

The %U macro used to return the NT username in lower case regardless of client.   This is no longer guaranteed.   Windows 9x machines result in the %U macro returning an upper case value, while Win2k/NT machines have %U return a lower case value.   Given these details, I think this should be easily reproducible.   At least a few other people on this list seem to have problems due to this.

Offhand, I think this a problem since there were a few times that %U was defined when %u was not, but I set up our samba controlled domain a year ago, so don't quote me on that.

OTHER POSSIBLE PROBLEMS:

1. Printing from a Win2k box seems to be broken in 2.2.0, at least for me.   I will do a level 10 debug on the current samba 2.2 CVS once I get in before users do (we have some early early-birds).    The machines in question belong to another domain, but rely on the samba domain for the local printer.

This is *not* the annoying bug newer MS products seems to have where "incorrect password" means "keep retrying 50 times"; rather, a user who even can mount their share on the samba controlled domain can access their files but seem to get their print jobs blackholed without the lpr daemon even running on them.   Win 9x boxes have no trouble printing.   The status of NT 4.0 is unknown.

I've reverted to the samba 2.0.x tree for now to get around this.

2. I said this once or twice before; Samba 2.0.7 (I never did get a chance to check 2.2.0) had an issue where the actual printing a print job with "force user" set was forced to said user, but pausing/unpausing/deleting said job was not forced to said user, and instead ran as the user which connected to said printer share.   This is a problem with printing daemons in general which only give control of a job to the creating user, and a pain with daemons LPRng where only certain users are allowed to override the username and host variables.  Is this a bug or an intensional feature?

---
Samuel Greenfeld
Electrical & Computer Engineering, Rowan University

On 25 Apr 2001, Matthew Keller wrote:

> I've been using %U macros within "include" statements in Samba 2.0 for
> years now. 2.2 doesn't seem to like them anyore. Has this
> functionality changed? I checked the smb.conf man page, but it doesn't
> seem to say anything different. I'm really hurting without this
> functionality (including different conf files depending on user name).
> Any help would be most appreciated.

Is it not being expanded?  Can you give me the details surrounding the
problem and send me a level 10 debug log when it fails?  Have you tried
%u?