Getting Samba to work from Windows clients

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Wed Apr 25 03:29:47 GMT 2001

Hi Al,
if you have gone to the trouble of setting up a user map to map your windows
users to your unix users, you should probably go all the way, and use
security = user, and set up a smbpasswd file.  share level security is
chancy at best...
If you really want to use share level security, you should understand that
share level security is REALLY meant for systems that want to have all their
users connect to a share with a common password - a 'share' password, if you
will.  To do this, you should set up your usermap so that you have the
following:
unixuser = sharename

and unixuser should be a unix user that is only going to be used to access
this share from your windows clients.  set a password on 'unixuser' and
share that password with the windows clients that need access to that share,
and set up your windows clients to enable plaintext passwords (there are
.reg files in the samba/doc directory that you can double click on that will
make the appropriate registry change on your clients to enable this).

But I would recommend security=user, and a smbpasswd file instead.
Read about it in chapter 6 of
http://us5.samba.org/samba/oreilly/using_samba

Good luck,
Don