odd error between vfat and samba

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Wed Apr 25 03:08:07 GMT 2001

Vfat sharing doesn't work well with either Samba or NFS under
2.4.x (actually >2.2.17).  I found this out the hard way, and
verified it by contacting someone involved in the NFS development
project.  My main focus was NFS, but I observed that it didn't
work with Samba either when I updated the kernel to 2.4.x.

The fix was giving up and moving the involved files to an ext2
directory.  Both NFS and Samba work fine now.

-- Bob --

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Timothy Ball wrote:

> [Note please Cc: timball at tux.org as I am not on the samba mailing
> list... but if this problem persists I think I may end up signing up]
>
> Well I do not have quota installed on the machine (and it's not enabled
> in the kernel) but I did what you suggested and tryed to create and
> delte files just on the regular fs as a user... it works great. (the
> directory in question is my /mnt/mp3s directory and has persmissions
> like this:
>
> drwxrwsr-x   23 smbuser  audio        4096 Apr 24 19:11 /mnt/mp3s
>
> /mnt/mp3s is vfat partition that I've mounted w/ the appropriate uid,
> gid, sgid, and umask=002, noexec options. As long as a user is in the "audio"
> group he/she should be able to create a file in /mnt/mp3s with 664
> permissions. (I figure this is the "correct" unix way of it all.)
>
> I'm still in the dark (though I'm beginning to suspect vfat is the
> culprit, but I'm unsure of how to debug it.)
>
> --timball
>
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 06:15:40PM -0400, MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) wrote:
> > It almost sounds like a hard and soft quotas limit on the linux side - any
> > chance that you have quotas enabled on the fs that you are sharing????  Try
> > the following;
> > after you have connected to the share in question from your windows machine,
> > use smbstatus to take a look at the actual linux user that you are connected
> > as.
> > THEN login to your linux server AS the same user, and try to create a file >
> > 800kb on that filesystem that you were accessing from windows.  If you CAN,
> > then you have a good suspicion the problem is with the windows access to the
> > linux fs via samba.  If you CAN't, then you can start poking around about
> > quotas, etc for that user from the linux side.

http://www.malibyte.net

"The weather is here - wish you were beautiful." - J. Buffett