help with samba

Yance Kowara yance at froggy.com.au
Tue Apr 24 12:57:11 GMT 2001

Dear Samba team,

We are a group of newbies trying to fix up the netwok system in our college. The network was a Red Hat Linux based system serving over 100 PCs (Windows NT workstations.) We upgraded the system to FreeBSD and everything went well.

The problem we are facing is that there is another server (Red Hat Linux 6.0) that served about 12 PCs (Win 98). The system was configured so that users and group of users (eg. finance, admin, teacher) can save their files in the server. We backed up the files and built a new server (FreeBSD), put the files back. THe 12 Win 98 Pcs are now NT 4.0.

Now, users can't save their Microsoft Excel files in the server anymore. Any attempt to save, the file name will be changed into something like 950002 or fc56200. Users can't delete a file in the server. Deleting a file and clicking refresh, the file will show up again with 0 kb size.

Users using Microsoft Word can only see 1 (one) font, times new roman, one font size.

Existing Win 98 PCs do not have that problem.

What did we overlook?

The new smb.conf file is very similar to the old one

Thank you for your attention

Yance Kowara
yance at froggy.com.au