win2k domain-less client failing to authenticate when securit y=domain

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Apr 23 20:34:35 GMT 2001

Hi Jonathan,
Yep, samba sends the domain name as well as the username to the domain
controller, and what I think happens is the NT controller sees that the
domainname passed is NOT his domain, checks his list of trusted domains,
doesn't find it, and says sayonara buddy...  I am assuming that 'SATURN' is
the netbios name of the win2k client machine?  I'm not real clear on how
this works with win2k clients...

You SHOULD be able to have these clients connect by specifying in the
username and password window that comes up when you fail to attach initally
the username: MSOE\detertj  (in your example) with the appropriate password
for the detertj user account in the MSOE domain.
But if you want to avoid this entirely, then you probably SHOULD add your
win2k clients to the MSOE domain (if they are regular users of resources in
this domain...)
Hope this helps,
Don