Can't connect via IP Address

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Apr 23 19:45:23 GMT 2001

Thomas,
I may be (probably am...) mistaken, but as I recall, win95/98 did not have
the ability to use ip address in the \\servername  format.  Windows NT does
- and it works just fine with samba, as it does with other NT servers.
Unfortunately I don't have win98se installed anywhere to test this; but you
might make a simple test from your win98se box to verify that it (as a
client) has this ability by trying the same test against the ip address of a
winnt server on your network.
Hope this helps,
Don