Newbie: Samba 2.2 - what's changed?

John Horne J.Horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Apr 23 15:18:13 GMT 2001

Hello,

I was asked to setup up a samba server recently, and so started to install
version 2.0.7. However, since the server hasn't been fully configured yet,
and obviously not in use, I have now downloaded version 2.2. We might as
well start with the latest version :-)

Question: How can I tell what has changed between version 2.0.7 and 2.2.0?
Quoting from the 'WHATSNEW.txt' file:

 There are many new parameters since 2.0.7 and some defaults have changed.

So which are new and which have changed their defaults? Having just about
finished configuring 2.0.7 do I now have to go through the entire smb.conf
man page (again) to see what has changed? Aren't all the administrative
changes recorded somewhere so that I (we) can easily see what has changed
and if it will affect us?

Many thanks,

John.

E-mail: jhorne at plymouth.ac.uk