Can't connect via IP Address

git at bmts.com git at bmts.com
Mon Apr 23 10:12:00 GMT 2001

Yup, to my knowledge, Samba will only accept
NetBios Names. If the name does not resolve (ie.
on a different subnet, with no WINS server or
other means to resolve netbios names, use the -I
switch. Ex: smbclient //netbiosname/share -I
192.168.80.1

The syntax for smbmount may be different (it used
to be the same as smbclient, but was later changed
to resemble entries in fstab)

Regards

> Hi All,
>
> i can't connect to my Suse-6.3, Samba 2.0.6
NT-Domain with the use of
> IP-Addresses. Using Netbios Names works fine and
the nmbd log the name
> request. Trying the same with the correct IP
from Windows 98se (net view
> \\192.168.80.1 instead of net vie \\elrond)
rsult in a "host not found"
> error message. Testing the same with ping or
tracert works fine.

> After browsing the faq and textdocs i'm still
confused where to get more