Install problems with RedHat 7.0 RPM for 2.2.0

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at bangor.ac.uk
Mon Apr 23 09:27:09 GMT 2001

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> This is your problem.  If you compile with PAM (the RPMS are), then you
> have indicated that you want to use PAM.  Simply setup a correct
> /etc/pam.d/samba and all will be well.  The reason that encrypted
> passwords will fail is that they now check with PAM to see if the
> account is disabled.  (PAM can't handle the encrypted password, but is
> still in a position to say yea or nay to the user based on account
> status, time of day and the like).

Sorry to be a thicko but I've never quite worked out what a "correct
pam.d/samba" is! We use NIS for passwd maps and whenever I've used a samba
RPM (built with PAM as I suspected) I get a delay during authentication
while PAM has a think and says nope - don't know him before the match in
the NIS is found. I usually end up building from source as a result. Are
there any repositories of pam.d/samba's for particular setups?

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed				You step in the stream,
Information Services			but the water has moved on.