Samba 2.2.0 capabilities ?

Max Ahston qtxmahs at dmn.hf.sw.ericsson.se
Mon Apr 23 09:11:29 GMT 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Tom Horan wrote:

> Hi,
> I have just downloaded Samba 2.2.0 and am just wondering what is Samba
> capable doing as of this release ?
>
> Here is what I want Samba to do for me....
>
> *	Be a file server in an domain run by NT boxes. I don't want to use
> any domain controller capabilities of samba.
It's what SAMBA more or less is made for. Serve NT clients data located on
UNIX servers.

> *	User level sharing.
Since I'm a UNIX geack I guess you mean you want to setup shares only
accessible by some users? That's no problem. User and/or group-control for
the shares.

> *	Set permissions from NT, I don't want to play around with Unix
> permissions as most of my admin staff are NT guys and don't know any Unix
> permission stuff. I have patched my kernel with the ACL patch already. (I'm
> running RedHat 7.2 with 2.4.3)
This is one of the new features in 2.2.0. However, I've started to test
this feature out running Solaris 8, and I'm not quite happy yet. But, it's
there for you to try now.

> *	I don't want to have Unix accounts setup for any of my NT accounts.
> I believe Winbind should do this but I couldn't get it to compile from the
> 2.2.0 release.
I belive you have to create accounts for all your NT-users because UNIX
needs the account for mapping the permissions right. The accounts can
however be locked. I could be wrong about WinBind but it's only availble
for Linux so I can't answer about that. But I know for sure it's a PAM and
I'm waiting for it to try in Solaris for some reasons.

> Can someone tell me if all this is possible ? I don't mind if it still
> alpha/beta.
2.2.0 is stable and it's the first release implementing ACL's I guess.

> I cant seem to find any documentation on any of the new features - am I
> looking in the wrong places ? Can someone point me in the right direction ?
It's a link from the first page when you get into any of the samba
mirrors. I've taken the time to copy paste a link for you:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/whatsnew/samba-2.2.0.html

Sincerely,

Max!

 max.ahston at dmn.hf.sw.ericsson.se  | max at ahston.se
 Ericsson Telecom                  | Tamira Konsult AB