Samba 2.2.0 capabilities ?

Tom Horan thos at esat.com
Mon Apr 23 08:27:33 GMT 2001

Hi,
I have just downloaded Samba 2.2.0 and am just wondering what is Samba
capable doing as of this release ?

Here is what I want Samba to do for me....

*	Be a file server in an domain run by NT boxes. I don't want to use
any domain controller capabilities of samba.
*	User level sharing.
*	Set permissions from NT, I don't want to play around with Unix
permissions as most of my admin staff are NT guys and don't know any Unix
permission stuff. I have patched my kernel with the ACL patch already. (I'm
running RedHat 7.2 with 2.4.3)
*	I don't want to have Unix accounts setup for any of my NT accounts.
I believe Winbind should do this but I couldn't get it to compile from the
2.2.0 release.

Can someone tell me if all this is possible ? I don't mind if it still
alpha/beta.

I cant seem to find any documentation on any of the new features - am I
looking in the wrong places ? Can someone point me in the right direction ?

I would appreciate any help on any of the above matters.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom Horan
System Administrator