FW: setting quota per user

Makis Marmaridis makis.marmaridis at angusknight.com.au
Mon Apr 23 03:27:41 GMT 2001

Chris,

the way I did the same thing a while back is by running edquota for each
user upon creation of their account. From memory there is a switch that
allows you to make a user's quota the same as anothers. So I setup a
"template" user that had quota the way I liked and then used him as the
template for all the other user accounts.

I have extracted from the quota mini howto the following bit of info that I
think is what you need.

<Snip>
To rapidly set quotas for, say 100 users, on my system to the same value as
my user bob, I would first edit bob's quota information by hand, then
execute:

edquota -p bob `awk -F: '$3 > 499 {print $1}' /etc/passwd`
</Snap>

PS: I would advise you install samba 2.2.0 (the latest stable), however if
you have to go with the 2.0.x version, use 2.0.8 instead (as it includes a
security fix that is not there in 2.0.7).

HTH,

Cheers,
Makis.