Files being deleted when loging in two machines

Oliver Schulze L. oliver at samera.com.py
Sun Apr 22 20:48:20 GMT 2001

Bill Moran wrote:

> "Oliver Schulze L." wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I have a server running Linux RedHat 6.2 + updates and samba 2.0.7
> > Y have samba running as a PDC and many Win98 clients.
> >
> > Y have a 'TMP' share like the /tmp en Linux.
> > The problem is that if I login with the same user in two machines, and
> > then copy a file to the 'TMP' share, files from that share are being
> > deleted.
> > First I think this was a problem with 'move' operation from windows
> > explorer,
> > but now I have confirmed that this hapend in the situation described
> > above.
> >
> > Anyone is having this same issue?
> > It's ok to login as the same user in two Windows98 clients?
>
> If the share exists on the /tmp directory on the Linux box, Linux is
> probably deleting the files.
> Unlike Windows, /tmp on Linux/Unix is serious about temp files. Many
> systems will delete the contents of this directory on a regular basis.
> I don't know why the default location for shares is /tmp. That really
> isn't a good idea if you ask me. Something more like /usr/share/samba
> (on a BSD system anyway) would make more sense. Personally, on
> production boxes I make a completely seperate partition called /data and
> put all my shared data there (it's nice for backups as well!)
> Try putting the share somewhere other than /tmp and see if the files
> stick around.
>
> -Bill
>
> --

Hi Bill,
sorry that I forged to specify the location. My 'TMP' share points to:
/tmp/samba_tmp
this directory has the same permisions as the /tmp, ie, everybody
can write, etc.

The files are being delete in a period of minutes after transfering the
files
from a windows clients to the share.
I also have my / directory on a RAID1(/dev/md0) with 2.2GB of free
space.

I don't if maters, but the files that I transfer to  this directory are big,

from 80MB to 140MB.

All this happens on a controled environment. I was to only person on the
network a that time. This is a small intranet network, so I can verify that
no one is accesing the share. Only I was loged on two machines with
the same user.

Thanks
Oliver
--