\\MyHostname is inaccessible???

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Sun Apr 22 17:31:25 GMT 2001

> Hi,
>
>     I'm using Slackwarwe7.1 and installed samba(2.0.7). I
> configure my smb.conf file and rebooted. I have another computer
> running WindowsMe. My problem is that when i tried to acces my
> shares in my linux box from me - through the network neighborhood
> - i could see the workgroup of my linux box which is SLAK, and
> when i click it i see another blue computer icon w/ a caption
> karakus(karakus is my linux box's hostname) however when i tried
> to click karakus an error box is displayed saying:
>

>     \\Karakus is not accessible.
>
>     No permission to access resource.
>

>     Is their something wrong with my samba configuration? I have
> attache my smb.conf file. Any help will be appreciated. Thanx!!!
Please,
next time send your smb.conf without the comments of the example.

As far as I know WindowsMe it is similar to Win98, which uses
encrypted passwords. Check ENTRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt, WinNT.txt in
the docs-directory of the samba-source. Or take one of the fine books
about samba. Baisicaly, you have to enable encrypted password in
samba, or you apply the provieded registry-Key to allwo WinME to use
plain text passwords. If it is a home network, not security related
in regard to people sniffing the network traffic, you are not plannig
an NT-domain (which uses differnt protocols than an Win98 domain), or
you just started with samba (and may be linux) I recommend the second
possibility.

Sure, there are a couple of other possible reasons for the error.

Christian