Problem changing password from windows client

Ian Moore imoore at on.net
Sun Apr 22 12:53:21 GMT 2001

Hi, I use samba on a FreeBSD server with a mixture of win95 & win98
clients with encrypted passwords disabled.
My problem is I can't change user's passwords from the windows clients.
Sorry if this question has been answered already, but I have spent ages
searching thru the mailing list archives without finding a solution.
Has anybody actually got this to work?
I am also a little confused about wether the smbpasswd file is used when
you don't have encrypted passwords.
When I first tried to change passwords, I got errors in the smb logs
about the oem_password being NULL.
So then I used swat to set a password in smbpasswd for a user. Now when
I try to change that user's password from the windows client I get:

[2001/04/22 16:21:23, 0] smbd/chgpasswd.c:check_oem_password(693)
  check_oem_password: incorrect password length (-1125595242).
in the smb log file and Windows says the old password is incorrect.

I assume oem_password is the password in the smbpasswd file?
If so, I suspect it's not even getting to the point of running the
passwd program to change the unix password. It looks to me like it
checks the old password with the one stored in smbpasswd and it's not
the same, so it tells the client to return an error and ask for the old
password again.
Or is it just that my passwd chat line is wrong?
I have tried both with & without the Unix Password Sync setting, but
neither seems to fix the problem.

My smb.conf file looks like this:
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost.threed.com.au (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2001/04/22 14:51:35

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = 3D_RADIO
	server string = Message Server
	interfaces = 192.168.1.50/24
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
#	passwd chat = "*New password:*" %n\r "*Retype new password:*" %n\r
"*done*"
	passwd chat = "Old password:" %o\r "New password:" %n\r "Retype new
password:" %n\r "*done*"
	passwd chat debug = Yes
	unix password sync = True
	password level = 1
	log file = /var/log/smblog.%m
	max log size = 50
	time server = Yes
	logon script = %U.bat
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 33
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	dns proxy = No
	wins support = Yes
	create mask = 0764
	hosts allow = 192.168.0. 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	writeable = Yes
	browseable = No