Slow Copy WinXX - Linux/Samba :-(

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sun Apr 22 05:18:09 GMT 2001

David Rankin wrote:

> I never thought it would happen to me, but it did...
>
> I have read threads about slow copies from WinXX to Linux/Samba on the
> list in the past, but I don't recall a concise answer regarding what the
> cause was.
>
> THE PROBLEM:
>
> Trying to copy an 8 meg file from Win95 to my Linux/Samba box (named
> "Nemesis" - for good reason), the transfer speed slows to a crawl. The
> Win95 copy dialog box starts out by saying 25 seconds remaining , then
> 60 seconds remaining, then 2 minutes, then 5 minutes, and so on.  I HAVE
> NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM IN THE PAST.
>
> I have tried reboots of the Win95 box -- no joy. I have tried copying
> smaller files to Nemesis (~200k) no noticable problem. I have tried
> copying large files from "Nemesis" to Win95 (or Win98 or WinME)  and it
> screams (No Problem -- 1.5 meg so fast the copy dialog doesn't even have
> time to appear). I need help, something is amiss, at best, and FUBAR at
> worst.
>
> When I set up my server, I copied all of my firm's data from the Win95
> machine to "Nemesis" with no problem. Approximately 355 Meg copied in ~
> 20 sec. (don't quote me on this, but it was less than a minute - after
> not having to reboot the Linux machine since 1/19, my memory fades -
> stupid human falability)
>
> MY SYSTEM:
>
> Abit KT7/AMD 800 T-bird
> 256M Ram
> IBM 45G/7200 RPM ATA/66 drive
> Linux Mandrake 7.2 (stock ISO install)
> Samba 2.07 (Same stock ISO install)
>
>     REST OF NETWORK: Win95, Win98, WinME (5 total)
>
> CHANGES SINCE STOCK MANDRAKE INSTALL:
>
> Loaded PopTop pptpd server
> Loaded xntp time sync program (xntp is not currently running)
>

> CHANGES TO SMB.CONF SINCE INSTALL
>
> Addition of [Applications] share (as shown above in the smb.conf)
>
> QUESTION:
>
> What in the world is causing the slow copy behavior from my WinXX box to
> "Nemesis"? I don't get it! I can copy FROM Nemesis to WinXX without any
> problems -- I just can't do it in reverse. In the past I have sent 300+
> Meg of data to the server with no problem. Now it stalls trying to copy
> anything bigger than ~200k from Windoze to Linux. What should I check? I
> don't think 'pptpd' or 'xntpd' should have anything to do with smb
> (xntpd isn't even running - pptpd is the only new process running).  (I
> HAVEN'T REBOOTED MY LINUX MACHINE SINCE 1/19 - DO YOU THINK A REBOOT
> MIGHT HELP?)

Nope, and that would spoil your uptime record :-)

> Anyway, for all of the others that have run into slow copy times from
> WinXX to Linux/Samba, - Please let me know if you have found a FIX, or
> WORK AROUND.

You could try installing Samba 2.2.0, there should be some RPMS on
samba.org.

It fixes a LOT of things, but I'm not sure about your particular
problem.

What are the network cards?  Are there collisions on the hub?

What do the logfiles say?

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett